We moved into our home about a year & a half ago. It has a very open floor plan & I’ve been slowly filling up the space, trying to be thoughtful about what I put where. I’ve bought very few furniture & decor items for the new house because I wanted to live in it for awhile before throwing a bunch of stuff in it that might not fit well with how we use the space.
We had this big blank chunk of wall between our living & dining room (picture below). I used items I already had to temporarily fill it in, but it obviously needed “more.”
“Before” picture of my sad & bare wall…
(sorry for the bad photo quality!)
I LOVE rustic shelving & the whole rustic/industrial trend happening, but couldn’t find any pre-made ones that were the width I needed, but I figured I could make them fairly easily.
I picked up 4, 10″ black galvanized pipes from the hardware store (I have no idea if that’s the technical term, it’s what I call them, they’re by all the plumbing stuff), along with 4 matching end caps & 4 flanges. The 10″ pieces of pipe were shiny, not textured like the end caps & flanges, so I also grabbed a textured black spray paint.
I wanted the shelves to be about 4′ wide, so I was planning to buy an 8′ board & have the hubs cut it at home, but I lucked out & found a section of boards at the store that were 4′ wide & about 9″ deep. The best part was they were already “distressed” looking, they had big knots & divots in them – they were exactly what I was picturing.
I recruited my boys to help “distress” the boards. They’ve never been so focused, lol! They pounded & dinged up both sides of each board before I stained them.
So focused. Distressing is a GREAT job for little boys 😉
Hubs helping me hang them.
Once the textured paint had dried on the pipes, I screwed the pieces together & then handed them over to the hubs to install. The boards just rest right on top, we didn’t attach them to the pipes with anything.